Staples 5 Ridgefield 2
1. Jake Hirschberg (S) def. Arnaud Valentin (R) 6-3,6-2
2. Jordan Kutcha (R) def. Graham Hyman (S) 6-4,6-4
3. Zack Levin (S) def. Tommy Knortz (R) 7-5,6-3
4. Josh Moskovitz (S) def. Keillor Mose (R) 6-0,6-1
5. Jack Reardon (S) def. Hans Rueter (R) 6-1,6-1
1. Doug Butturini / Matt Deprima (R) def. Steve Thomson / Baxter Stein (S) 6-3,2-6,7-5
2. Evan Davis / Connor Mitnick (S) def. Pat Sheenan-Delany / Griffin Shyer (R) 6-4,6-4
More photos are available under PHOTOS tab.
On an 85 degree Monday morning which felt more like summer vacation than spring break, the Staples boys tennis team took down a tough Ridgefield team by the score of 5-2. Prior to the match, both teams were undefeated, having torn through all previous opponents. First off the courts was Staples sophomore Jack Reardon, who beat Hans Reuter of Ridgefield at #5 singles, 6-1, 6-1. Shortly thereafter, Staples freshman Josh Moskovitz posted a 6-0,6-1 win over Ridgefield’s Keillor Mose at the fourth singles spot. Eyes quickly turned to Jake Hirschberg, the Staples junior who completed a straight set triumph over Ridgefield’s ace Arnaud Valentin at the #1 singles spot, 6-3, 6-2.
With Staples just one point away from a team victory, freshman Zack Levin overcame the overwhelming heat, heckling fans, and Ridgefield’s Tommy Knortz, by a score of 7-5, 6-3 to clinch the match for the Wreckers and keep them undefeated in the regular season since 2009. Also winning for Staples was the second doubles duo of Connor Mitnick and Evan Davis, who pulled out a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Pat Sheenan-Delany and Griffen Shyer. Ridgefield’s only wins came at #2 singles and #1 doubles, where Jordan Kuchta defeated Graham Hyman, 6-4, 6-4, and the team of Matt Deprima and Douglas Butturini outlasted Steve Thomson and Baxter Stein in a three set battle, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.